National Outcomes Center works with health care organizations and related industries to improve patient outcomes. Our projects have included topics such as:
- Improved workflow for medication administration.
- Interventions aimed at reducing health disparities.
- Use of UV lights to improve air quality in health care facilities.
- Effective pain management.
- Best care for infants with complex heart disease.
- Pediatric drug usage in inpatient care.
- Use of therapeutic hypothermia in pediatric cardiac arrest.
- Readiness for extubation in patients with altered mental status.
- Effective asthma control and treatment.
- Latex allergy reduction.
- Use of sealants in pediatric dentistry.
- Quality of life outcomes in families of children with significant congenital heart disease.
Blood stream infection collaborative
National Outcomes Center partners with the National Association of Children's Hospitals and Related Institutions and Children's Hospital Los Angeles for the Virtual PICU Systems LLC. VPS is a national network of children's hospitals that provides performance data for pediatric intensive care units. Its data represents more than 228,000 pediatric patients. National Outcomes Center ensures rigorous data quality control for VPS.
National Outcomes Center and VPS, NACHRI and the American Board of Pediatrics have undertaken a national blood stream infection collaborative to reduce catheter-associated blood stream infections in pediatric intensive care units. These infections are a significant cause of morbidity and mortality, and also represent a large cost to hospitals and patients.
The collaborative resulted in a decrease in infections throughout the United States and created a new, lower national benchmark for health care quality.